The first Firefox OS smartphones launched just a few months ago and we are already making progress on building Firefox OS for more platforms and devices.
One of those projects is progressing quickly and we need help from contributors to complete the code. To make this easier, we are launching a new contribution program aimed at accelerating the build of Firefox OS for tablets and its supporting ecosystem. To do this, we will provide dedicated contributors with access to resources and reference tablet hardware. We have to make the hardware available before the software is final to make it possible for contributors around the world to help us complete the build of Firefox OS for tablets.
We are working closely with partners like Foxconn and developers on the tablet development of Firefox OS. Because Firefox OS is built on the Web, and the Web is a truly extensible platform, we can continue to optimize Firefox OS for smartphones, while also building for tablets and different uses around the world with the help of our community.
Once we have completed work on Firefox OS for tablets with the help of this contribution program, we’ll get ready to share it with the world.
Initial Partners and Hardware:
1280×800 24bit color
We will be working with partners like Foxconn to expand this program for more developers and contributors soon.
How the program will work:
- The program will start in the coming weeks, when we will share more details about how contributors can apply to receive a reference tablet.
- We will work together to complete the tablet version of Firefox OS.
- We will provide guidance on where we need contributions to complete the tablet version of Firefox OS.
- Nightly builds will be offered for developers to keep up to date.
- All program details will be posted here on Hacks in the coming weeks
Who the program is aimed at:
- Developers interested in or with previous knowledge of developing for the core Firefox OS (focus on Gecko/GFX, Gaia, UX, Productivity and Systems Apps).
- Firefox OS localizers – to help localize and translate the tablet version of Firefox OS for global markets.
- Testers and bug fixers – we will be calling for participation from both people who can test the latest tablet builds and file bugs and also developers who can file and fix bugs.
Stay tuned for more updates in the next few weeks on how to get involved in the program.
View full post on Mozilla Hacks – the Web developer blog